Are crowns better than veneers?

Whether crowns or veneers are better depends on the clinical situation. Veneers necessitate less tooth removal; a crown requires removal of tooth structure on all surfaces.

It depends on what is meant by "better". Crowns are typically meant to strengthen and protect a damaged tooth (and usually require a substantial part of said tooth to be removed.) Veneers cover the front and the sides, and are more cosmetic in application than a crown. This isn't to say crowns don't beautify or that veneers don't protect, mind you. It's just they usually have different reasons for getting them. Ask your dentist what is best for your situation.

Crowns are a full coverage restorative option for the tooth. This is indicated when there is extensive breakdown or loss of natural tooth structure. Veneers generally cover the facial (front) and incisal (edge) surfaces of the tooth and are a more conservative option when there is sufficient healthy tooth structure remaining.
Crowns are different than veneers. In addition many crowns have porcelain or composite veneers over the substructure for esthetics.

A crown provides a more secure restoration than a filling for a tooth that is badly broken down and/or has extensive fillings and weak cusps. The tooth is shaped and prepared, and the crown surrounds and covers the entire tooth. Alternatively, a veneer, porcelain or composite, is used most often for cosmetic purposes to correct color, alignment, shape and contour of teeth. The veneer is a thin layer of material, involving one more tooth surfaces, that is bonded to the tooth. Also, many think veneers do not involve reduction of tooth structure; however, to make desired corrections and improvements the tooth usually requires preparation (reduction).

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

When should I call my dentist if I have complications after a crown?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
The question "after a crown" can be divided into at least two parts. The first part would involve to...
How long is the recovery after getting a dental crown?
After getting a dental crown placed, you can expect that you will go home shortly afterwards and the...
What does a dental crown treat?
A crown may be used to improve appearance and enhance esthetics of a smile, but it is also used to r...
Can I get a dental crown if I am pregnant?
Ideally, if you are pregnant, you should try to wait until after your baby is born before having...