Can children get metal dental crowns?

Yes, if a tooth is severely decayed, a child can get a metal dental crown. In fact, most of the time when a child needs a crown, a dentist will recommend a stainless steel crown for durability. Crowns such as these can help provide foundation in the mouth and ensure that your child has functionality when speaking and eating.

Metal dental crowns are done on the teeth of children with badly broken down and decayed teeth. These crowns are made of stainless steel and adapted by the dentist to fit the tooth. Anterior crowns may be covered with a tooth colored facing. These crowns help hold the tooth together until the permanent tooth erupts.
Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Metal dental crowns in children are often referred to as stainless steel or chrome steel crowns. This type of restoration is one of the most durable for replacing missing tooth surface in pediatric patients. They are safe, can last for years, and do not corrode in the wet environment of the mouth.

Stainless steel crowns might be recommended for your child with tooth decay or when the tooth requires root canal treatment. Typically, when a tooth has more than two surfaces of dental decay or caries, the tooth is a good candidate for a stainless steel crown.

One of the most common questions I receive about teeth with stainless steel crowns is whether they will fall out naturally or need to be removed when it is time for the permanent tooth to erupt. Typically, baby teeth with stainless steel or chrome steel crowns fall out of the mouth naturally, like any other baby tooth.

If you have a concern with your child's tooth, schedule an appointment with your pediatric dental specialist or general dentist for a comprehensive evaluation.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

Can I get a dental crown to improve the look of my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Yes, dental crowns can improve the look of your teeth, and your smile. Crowns are used to help stren...
What's the difference between crowns and veneers?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Veneers and crowns are different procedures. It is necessary to have significant tooth structure ...
How will I know if getting a dental crown was successful?
If your teeth or stronger and/or the appearance of your teeth has improved, then getting a crown was...
What are the benefits of getting a dental crown?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
There are several benefits of a dental crown. First, a crown restores your tooth back to the origina...