What are the advantages of dental crowns?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Dental crowns offer the following advantages:
  • Teeth can be whitened or lightened to any desired shade. Very difficult stains can be covered.
  • Tooth size or tooth position can be transformed for a better look.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.
Your dentist may recommend a crown for a number of reasons, including strengthening teeth or enhancing your smile's appearance.

You may need a crown to cover a tooth to help restore it to its normal shape and size. A crown can make your tooth stronger and improve its appearance.

A crown can help strengthen a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth remaining to hold the filling. Crowns can also be used to attach bridges, protect a weak tooth from breaking or restore one that’s already broken. A crown is a good way to cover teeth that are discolored or badly shaped. It’s also used to cover a dental implant.

Continue Learning about Dental Crown

What could happen if I choose not to have a dental crown?
The consequences of not getting a dental crown depend a lot on why your dentist thinks you need ...
What does the process of getting a dental crown involve?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
There are several steps involved in getting a dental crown. First, your tooth or teeth is reduced 1....
Can I get a dental crown to improve the look of my teeth?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
Yes. However, a lot of it depends on how you are trying to improve the looks of your teeth. If your ...
When should I call the dentist after getting a dental crown?
If you've had a dental crown placed, you can expect some numbness around your mouth if you've ha...