What is the use of dental bridges?

A bridge replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth, looks great, and literally bridges the gap where one or more teeth may have been. Bridges also help maintain the shape of your face and restore your smile, as well as alleviate the stress in your bite by replacing missing teeth.
A dental bridge is one way to replace a missing tooth or teeth. It uses the tooth in front and behind the missing tooth to anchor the artificial tooth. So if you are replacing 1 tooth, it will require 3 crowns/caps (1 for each anchor/abutment tooth and 1 for the artificial tooth). It is a fixed restoration, which means they are cemented onto your natural teeth. Hence, you don't have to remove it. 
A dental bridge is used when a tooth is missing. The bridge will crown two teeth on either side of the missing tooth, and in the middle will sit a fake tooth.

To make a dental bridge, the dentist will grind down the two teeth on either side of the missing tooth. The middle section of the dental bridge will be open, so you can floss inside the gap between the gum and the crown to keep it clean. As the gum heals, it will fill up most of the gap.

Continue Learning about Dental Bridge

How do I know if I need a dental bridge?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you're considering a dental bridge, you should discuss this option with your dentist to determine...
What are the different types of fixed dental bridges?
A fixed bridge (a restoration that replaces or spans the space where one or more teeth have been...
Is it difficult to eat with a dental bridge?
If you have a dental bridge, you should have no trouble eating. In fact, if the bridge is supporting...
How long do dental bridges last?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
A permanent dental bridge should last at least 5 years. I expect bridges I do to last at least 10 ...