How is dengue fever diagnosed?

Dengue fever is diagnosed by assessing your symptoms, reviewing places you have visited, and confirming the diagnosis with a blood sample. It is important to inform your doctor if you have any recent mosquito bites or have been in areas that have mosquitoes. It is necessary to disclose travel to tropical and subtropical areas such as Africa, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, Australia or Latin America. It is also relevant to let your doctor know if you have had dengue fever in the past.

If your doctor suspects dengue fever, they will order a panel of blood tests to look for evidence of the virus in your blood. Common blood tests ordered for dengue fever include tests for antibodies to the virus and a complete blood count.

Continue Learning about Dengue Fever

How do medications treat dengue fever?
Acetaminophen is used to treat dengue fever by reducing the fever and treating the pain. Besides ace...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dengue fever?
When caring for someone with dengue fever, make sure they stay hydrated, rest, and take acetaminophe...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dengue fever symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about dengue fever symptoms if you have traveled to areas where dengue fever occ...
What are the symptoms of dengue fever?
Symptoms of dengue fever include a migraine-like headache, rash, achiness, queasiness, tiredness and...