How is dengue fever diagnosed?

Dengue fever is diagnosed by assessing your symptoms, reviewing places you have visited, and confirming the diagnosis with a blood sample. It is important to inform your doctor if you have any recent mosquito bites or have been in areas that have mosquitoes. It is necessary to disclose travel to tropical and subtropical areas such as Africa, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, Australia or Latin America. It is also relevant to let your doctor know if you have had dengue fever in the past.

If your doctor suspects dengue fever, they will order a panel of blood tests to look for evidence of the virus in your blood. Common blood tests ordered for dengue fever include tests for antibodies to the virus and a complete blood count.

Continue Learning about Dengue Fever

What increases my risk for dengue fever?
Your risk for dengue fever increases when you travel to tropical areas and if you have previously be...
How do I manage dengue fever on a daily basis?
Daily management of dengue fever requires drinking plenty of liquids, using acetaminophen, and getti...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dengue fever?
When caring for someone with dengue fever, make sure they stay hydrated, rest, and take acetaminophe...
Is dengue fever serious?
Dengue fever is uncomfortable but not serious. It is the mildest disease caused by the dengue vi...