How is dengue fever diagnosed?

Dengue fever is diagnosed by assessing your symptoms, reviewing places you have visited, and confirming the diagnosis with a blood sample. It is important to inform your doctor if you have any recent mosquito bites or have been in areas that have mosquitoes. It is necessary to disclose travel to tropical and subtropical areas such as Africa, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, Australia or Latin America. It is also relevant to let your doctor know if you have had dengue fever in the past.

If your doctor suspects dengue fever, they will order a panel of blood tests to look for evidence of the virus in your blood. Common blood tests ordered for dengue fever include tests for antibodies to the virus and a complete blood count.

Continue Learning about Dengue Fever

Does dengue fever affect children differently than adults?
Dengue fever affects children differently than adults because symptoms of dengue fever are usually m...
What is dengue fever?
Dengue fever is a viral disease that is spread through mosquito bites. It cannot be spread through h...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dengue fever?
When caring for someone with dengue fever, make sure they stay hydrated, rest, and take acetaminophe...
Should I tell my child's school about their dengue fever?
As a safety precaution, notifying your child's school that they have had dengue fever is a good idea...