How can dengue fever be prevented?

The best way to prevent dengue fever is to limit your exposure to mosquitoes and the areas where the virus is common. While there currently is not a vaccine for dengue fever, a vaccine may be available in the near future.

World travelers and those who live in Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, Latin America and other tropical and sub-tropical places are more likely to be infected by dengue fever. While in an area affected by the dengue virus, it is important to protect yourself by using mosquito repellent, wearing full coverage clothing, and taking steps to reduce the mosquito population around you. Ways to reduce mosquito exposure are to stay in air-conditioned lodging, make use of mosquito netting, and reduce the amount of standing water in and around your lodging.

Continue Learning about Dengue Fever

How do medications treat dengue fever?
Acetaminophen is used to treat dengue fever by reducing the fever and treating the pain. Besides ace...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dengue fever symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about dengue fever symptoms if you have traveled to areas where dengue fever occ...
How is dengue fever diagnosed?
Dengue fever is diagnosed by assessing your symptoms, reviewing places you have visited, and con...
How do I manage dengue fever on a daily basis?
Daily management of dengue fever requires drinking plenty of liquids, using acetaminophen, and getti...