Why is it important for people with dementia to take medicine as directed?

Dr. Gary Small, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

Some treatments are designed to help ease symptoms. They don’t cure the disease, but they do help with symptoms temporarily. You’ll see a benefit, but no change in the slope of decline. However, a rapid decline occurs if the medicine is stopped too soon. 

This is an error that families often make. They see their loved one getting a little worse, and assume the medicine isn't working, so they stop the medicine. It important not to do that. Try to keep person on the medicine longer in those situations.

Continue Learning about Dementia

Why Dementia Gets Worse at Night—and How to Stop It
In many dementia patients, the transition from day into night can become quite difficult. Known as sundowning, the syndrome is marked by a regular cha...
What is the survival rate for frontotemporal dementia (FTD)?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
In frontotemporal dementia (FTD), the frontal parts of the brain atrophy and the anterior temporal p...
What's a quick way to inform strangers that my loved one has dementia?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
You can give someone a note that says, "My loved one has dementia or Alzheimer's disease and may som...
Is It Helpful for a Patient to Know About a Disease That Is Incurable?