What has been done to make sure people in nursing homes are well fed?

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

To make sure people in nursing homes are well fed, through the Choosing Wisely program, an initiative of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Foundation, the American Geriatric Society (AGS) has recommended that doctors avoid putting feeding tubes in people with dementia. The AGS encourages that if people cannot eat, the facility should have somebody who can sit down and feed them or, if they can feed themselves, to encourage them to eat. Also, people's meals should be tailored to their abilities. For instance, finger foods should be provided if they are having trouble using a spoon and fork. 

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site.  In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Dementia

4 Must-Know Facts on Frontotemporal Degeneration (FTD)
Many of us have heard of Alzheimer’s disease, but few are familiar with frontotemporal degeneration (FTD)—formerly referred to as frontotemporal demen...
What should I know about caring for a loved one with early onset dementia?
Dr. Gary Small, MDDr. Gary Small, MD
Families and people with early-onset dementia face specific challenges.  Getting an accurate diagno...
How can I tell if my loved one with dementia is safe while driving?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
If the diagnosis is early dementia, take a ride with your loved one once in a while and see how thin...
What Are the Symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia?