Is it okay if I want to take a trip without my loved one with dementia?

Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
Psychology Specialist

As a caregiver of someone with dementia, it's important for you to take care of yourself. Remember, if you're not healthy, your loved one is not going to get good care. Getting away is a way to take care of the both of you.

Is there anything that would prohibit you from taking a trip alone? Consider your feelings first. Now, you might say, "Oh, I can't go. I'd feel awful. I'd be abandoning my loved one. My loved one needs me, I can't go." Well, that's not necessarily true. You're not abandoning your loved one. In fact, taking a trip alone might be better for your relationship, especially if you need a break.

Continue Learning about Dementia

How to Use Food to Calm Down and Dodge Dementia
Cherimoya, samphire, jabuticaba, kiwano, pummelo and Romanesco. No, that is not the name of an international law firm, or the six magic words that wil...
What is mild cognitive impairment (MCI)?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Mild memory impairment, or more formally, mild cognitive impairment, is serious, but not fatal. ...
Why is it important for people with dementia to take medicine as directed?
Dr. Gary Small, MDDr. Gary Small, MD
Some treatments are designed to help ease symptoms. They don’t cure the disease, but they do help wi...
Kimberly Williams-Paisley Opens Up About Her Mom’s Dementia