Is it okay if I want to take a trip without my loved one with dementia?

Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
Psychology Specialist

As a caregiver of someone with dementia, it's important for you to take care of yourself. Remember, if you're not healthy, your loved one is not going to get good care. Getting away is a way to take care of the both of you.

Is there anything that would prohibit you from taking a trip alone? Consider your feelings first. Now, you might say, "Oh, I can't go. I'd feel awful. I'd be abandoning my loved one. My loved one needs me, I can't go." Well, that's not necessarily true. You're not abandoning your loved one. In fact, taking a trip alone might be better for your relationship, especially if you need a break.

Continue Learning about Dementia

What You Need to Know About Dementia
What You Need to Know About Dementia
What is dementia? Dementia isn’t one disease; it’s a state of overall mental decline that can result from a number of conditions. Dementia involves tw...
How does being a dementia caregiver affect one's immune response?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Dementia caregivers are subject to compromised immunity, more days of infectious illness and even di...
How can I include my child when visiting a loved one who has dementia?
Alzheimer's Foundation of AmericaAlzheimer's Foundation of America
While it is important to include children, it is just as vital to consider their feelings. Address t...
Why Is Frontotemporal Dementia Hard to Diagnose?