How can I make sure my loved one with dementia is safe in a hotel room?

Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
Psychology Specialist

When staying in a hotel room with someone with dementia, the first thing you should do is check the hotel room for safety risks. Are there coffee pots that are plugged in? 

Bring a night light with you or leave a bathroom light on if you don't have a night light.

Think about ways to prevent wandering. It may be just as simple to cover the doorknob, because just seeing the doorknob can trigger somebody to turn it and open it. 

Try to maintain your usual routine as much as possible. You won’t be doing the same activities that you do at home, but try to keep the schedule about the same.

Try to book a room for people with disabilities. It's just more user-friendly for everyone involved. Make sure you buy travel insurance.

Continue Learning about Dementia

Is Your Antiperspirant Putting You at Risk for Dementia?
“Don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things,” comedian George Carlin once said. But staying cool, calm and collected isn’t always ea...
What is early onset dementia?
Dr. Gary Small, MDDr. Gary Small, MD
Early-onset dementia is when the disease begins before age 65. The cause may be Alzheimer's disease,...
What's a quick way to inform strangers that my loved one has dementia?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
You can give someone a note that says, "My loved one has dementia or Alzheimer's disease and may som...
Caring for a Loved One With Dementia
Caring for a Loved One With Dementia