How can I tell if my loved one with dementia is safe at home?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

To know if your loved one with dementia is safe at home, ask questions about judgment. For example, “If there were a fire in the house, do you know what to do?” “If you fell down, do you know what to do?” The responses should be “I’d leave the house,” and “I’d call 911.” If not, this might be a situation where the person might not be safe alone at home any longer. Life Alert or similar services can help. In advanced stages, someone left at home alone can wander. Moving door locks out of reach or setting an alarm that goes off when the door opens and closes can help monitor your loved one's safety.

Continue Learning about Dementia

What Are the Financial Perils of Dementia?
Besides the changes to their physical and emotional health, people with dementia lose their capacity to perform the financial tasks of daily living. ...
How common is vascular dementia?
Dr. Stephen T. Chen, MDDr. Stephen T. Chen, MD
Vascular dementia is the second most common type of dementia in the United States. (Alzheimer's dise...
What can my loved one with dementia do while I'm on vacation alone?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
If you are going on vacation alone without your loved one with dementia, you can consider respite ca...
What Are the Symptoms of Frontotemporal Dementia?