How does being a dementia caregiver affect one's immune response?

Dementia caregivers are subject to compromised immunity, more days of infectious illness and even disruptions in actual cellular immune responses. This has been shown when doctors have drawn blood from dementia caregivers and exposed that blood to antigens that would trigger an immune response. They found that those immune cells were weaker and didn’t mount as much of a response as non-caregivers' cells.

Continue Learning about Dementia

Choose This Protein for More Mental Power
Chicken or fish? It's not just a choice you make at wedding receptions. Your answer could be a ticket to a healthier mind, too. A study suggests that...
How can I relieve stress if I am a caregiver for a loved one with dementia?
Helen Lavretsky, MDHelen Lavretsky, MD
To relieve the stress that comes with being a caregiver for a loved one with dementia, do the follow...
What should I put in my carry-on when traveling with someone with dementia?
Dr. Linda Ercoli, PhDDr. Linda Ercoli, PhD
When travelling with someone dementia, it’s important to keep a bag of essentials in your carry-on l...
3 Big Benefits of Coffee
3 Big Benefits of Coffee