Is a spondylosis a type of degenerative spinal disease?

Degenerative spinal diseases is a general term for any disorder of the spine caused by the normal aging process. One type of degenerative spinal disease is spondylosis, arthritis of the spinal joints. Spondylosis is caused by the natural breakdown of cartilage in our spinal columns. Spondylosis is sometimes characterized by a bulging outgrowth called a bone spur. Pain or stiffness associated with spondylosis can often managed with conservative treatment, including exercise, over-the-counter medication, and applying heat or ice pads.

Continue Learning about Degenerative Spinal Disease

What is a spondylolysis?
Nike SPARQ Training NetworkNike SPARQ Training Network
A spondylolysis is a fracture in one of the small joints that connects the spinal vertebrae together...
How does surgery treat degenerative spinal diseases?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Surgery is one approach used to treat some types of degenerative spinal diseases. Most treatment sta...
How do I care for someone with a degenerative spinal disease?
Degenerative spinal diseases can cause chronic back and neck pain. While this can pose physical chal...
How do I prepare for a doctor visit about degenerative spinal diseases?
If you experience persistent back or neck pain, you should talk about your symptoms with a doctor. Y...