Can degenerative spinal diseases be prevented?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Most degenerative spinal diseases are due to natural wear and tear on the spine over time. While this wear and tear is part of the natural aging process, leading a healthy lifestyle can reduce some of this damage. Maintaining a healthy weight, warming up before exercising, maintaining proper posture and safely lifting heavy objects can minimize damage. If you smoke, quit. Smoking damages your circulation, depriving spinal tissue of critical oxygen and nutrients.

Continue Learning about Degenerative Spinal Disease

How do I care for someone with a degenerative spinal disease?
Degenerative spinal diseases can cause chronic back and neck pain. While this can pose physical chal...
Is a spondylosis a type of degenerative spinal disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Degenerative spinal diseases is a general term for any disorder of the spine caused by the normal ag...
What is a spondylolysis?
Nike SPARQ Training NetworkNike SPARQ Training Network
A spondylolysis is a fracture in one of the small joints that connects the spinal vertebrae together...
What can I do for spondylolsis?
If you have spondylolsis, you should perform a combination of flexibility and strengthening techniqu...