What are the texturizers used in skin care products?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Texturizers are substances that thicken or add slip to a product, so it can be applied smoothly. They literally add a rich texture to a cream or lotion.

The common texturizers used are:
  • Alkyl benzoate (also an emollient)
  • Carbomer
  • Polymers (in the form of either polyethylene glycol or natural polysaccharides such as seaweed)
  • Dimethicone, cyclomethicone (these silicones are also emollients)
  • Polysorbate 20 and 80 (also surfactants)
  • Pentaerythrityl tetraoctanoate
  • Caprylic and succinic triglycerides (also emollients)
  • Sodium chloride
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
In The Simpsons’ cartoon, “Itchy & Scratchy,” Itchy, the blue mouse (Dan Castellaneta) repeatedly kills Scratchy, the black cat (Harry Shearer). It’s ...
If I have a Vata body type, how should I take care of my skin?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
Vata skin needs to be nourished and hydrated. It is at risk for premature aging due to a deficiency ...
Are men's lip care different from women's lip care?
Whether you’re a man or a woman, it’s important to care for your lips by using a lip product wit...
What Are the Benefits of Retinol?
What Are the Benefits of Retinol?