Are skin care lines created by dermatologists better than others?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Yes and no. First of all, just because they are developed and endorsed by doctors, that doesn't make them prescription strength by any means. As with makeup artist brands or professional hair stylist lines, dermatologists back up their products with their expertise and years of know-how. So their professional reputation is on the line. Consumers definitely respond to personal brand names. Having a doctor's name either on the label or endorsing a product substantiates its validity as we tend to trust what doctors tell us. Some doctor brands may actually be better because they are believed in, developed and researched by the physician. Also, doctors get direct and immediate feedback from their patients. If they try a new product and have a bad reaction, it will be improved and perfected immediately. In a way, this is a valuable human-controlled clinical test. It's a privilege to hear and see those real responses, which is something huge corporations lack. There are pros and cons to all different kinds of skin care products, and the one thing to remember is that most creams and lotions are essentially pretty similar: for the most part they are safe, but they are not the skin-transforming, life-changing fountains of youth that we'd love them to be.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Americans Are Still Tanning Indoors—Here’s Why It’s So Bad for Your Health
In the summer, many people love basking in the sun and soaking up some rays, but to get that sun-kissed glow during the cooler months, some are still ...
What are the texturizers used in skin care products?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Texturizers are substances that thicken or add slip to a product, so it can be applied smoothly. The...
How should I take care of my face if I have oily skin?
Howard L. Brooks, MDHoward L. Brooks, MD
If you have oily skin, you still need to moisturize; you also need to use a gentle cleanser with gly...
The 3-Step Method to Get Younger-Looking Skin