Which ingredients in skin care products should I look for?

Where there are hundreds of possible skin care ingredients, many with fancy names and expensive price tags, but there is little or no science to most of them. The list of ingredients that have solid scientific backing and really can make a difference in the skin is small. They include these:
  • vitamin A
  • vitamin C
  • vitamin B3 (niacin - or nicotinamide)
  • vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
  • vitamin E
  • alpha-hydroxyacids
  • ubiquinone (small-molecule antioxidant)
  • ferulic acid (small-molecule antioxidant)
YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Americans Are Still Tanning Indoors—Here’s Why It’s So Bad for Your Health
In the summer, many people love basking in the sun and soaking up some rays, but to get that sun-kissed glow during the cooler months, some are still ...
How is lechthin used in skincare products to treat skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Lecithin, a phospholipid found in the membranes of plant and animal cells, this compound is used...
How should I take care of my face if I have oily skin?
Howard L. Brooks, MDHoward L. Brooks, MD
If you have oily skin, you still need to moisturize; you also need to use a gentle cleanser with gly...
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?
How Can I Treat My Forehead Wrinkles?