Do expensive skin-care products work better than drugstore brands?

A more expensive product does not necessarily mean a better product. Much of the expense goes toward the packaging, rather than the actual ingredients in the moisturizer.
Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
I want to warn you to steer clear of skin care products with exaggerated claims. They are usually very expensive and sold mostly through mail order or on the Internet. A general rule to go by is that a product should under-promise and over-deliver. If the promise on the label sounds better than a facelift, don’t waste your money.
Not often! Many drugstore brands are excellent, and the larger companies spend a lot of money on research and development of their products.

Expensive products sometimes feel better when they are applied, because those companies spend more money on the vehicles that the products are in. Buying an expensive product feels special to some people, and that’s okay as long as the products do not irritate or make your skin break out. For me, I get to try many products, drugstore and expensive, and I use many drugstore brands that are both hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, as I have very sensitive skin. There are some expensive sunscreens from France that I think are worth every penny.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Tanning Beds: Worse for Your Health Than You Think
In the episode of Friends, “The One with Ross’s Tan,” Ross (David Schwimmer ) goes into a spray-on tanning booth, is befuddled by the instructions, an...
How do I protect my skin while traveling in an airplane?
The air inside airplane cabins is very low in humidity -- much lower than air in houses or offic...
What can I do to correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on my face?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
To correct uneven skin tone or discoloration on your face, there are both OTC and prescription solut...
Why Is It Important to Remove My Makeup Before I Go to Sleep?