Can I use a cream to replace damaged collagen in my skin?

Collagen creams themselves have not been reported to replace collagen. However, the use of topical tretinoin, a topical vitamin A used to treat acne, is effective. Tretinoin, a member of the family of dugs known as retinoids, is used to treat photo damage. These retinoids lead to new collagen formation, and therefore help with the appearance of fine lines.

The question of whether collagen creams work needs to be broken down further. Collagen creams work because the active ingredient in these creams is a moisturizer. Therefore, most people look better simply because they apply a moisturizer regularly. As far as boosting collagen, it's not to the same level as would happen if you had an injectable filler done. So the answer really depends on your expectations.

Many collagen-boosting creams claim to firm your skin and make it appear younger, but these creams may not be as great as they sound. While they should help keep your skin moisturized, they don't replace the collagen your body has already lost. Lotions that claim to stimulate collagen production in your body sound like an easy solution, but significant scientific evidence to back up this claim has yet to be found.

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
In The Simpsons’ cartoon, “Itchy & Scratchy,” Itchy, the blue mouse (Dan Castellaneta) repeatedly kills Scratchy, the black cat (Harry Shearer). It’s ...
What's the best way to do an at-home skin peel?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Here’s what you need to know about doing your own peels at home, and how to get the best results for...
How do I choose the right toner?
The search for the right type of toner begins with knowing your skin type. If you have oily skin, yo...
Why You Need to Repair Your Skin After Exercising