How do I know if I am allergic to a skincare product?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
If you think you are allergic to a product, an easy way to check is to put a small amount on your inner forearm. This area is generally less sensitive than your face or hands and it is readily accessible, unlike your back where most allergy testing is done. If you do not get a reaction, this does not guarantee that you are not allergic. You may need to repeat the test over a few days, or see your allergist or dermatologist.

Continue Learning about Daily Skin Care

Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
Help! My Skin Won’t Stop Itching
In The Simpsons’ cartoon, “Itchy & Scratchy,” Itchy, the blue mouse (Dan Castellaneta) repeatedly kills Scratchy, the black cat (Harry Shearer). It’s ...
How can I improve my sun-damaged skin?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Sun causes wrinkles, brown spots, red capillaries, and thin, dry skin. Your skin rehab includes exfo...
How does my skin type affect surgical scarring?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
One important component to surgical scarring is the amount of pigmentation and melanin in the skin. ...
Why Do Some Women Age Better Than Others?