How does a cystoscopy exam test for bladder problems?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A cystoscopy is an examination of the tissue inside the bladder. Using a special scope, a urologist can view the inside of your bladder and urethra to diagnose bladder tumors, identify blockages of the bladder and look for any abnormalities of the bladder and its lining.

Continue Learning about Cystoscopy

What does an abnormal cystoscopy reading indicate?
An abnormal cystoscopy reading may indicate the presence of bladder stones, cysts, polyps, irritable...
How can a cystoscopy diagnose bladder infection?
A cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure that uses a small camera attached to a thin, lighted tube to ...
What should I expect when I get a cystoscopy?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Cystoscopy is a procedure in which a small fiber optic telescope is passed into the urinary bladder ...
What happens during cystoscopy for people with urinary problems?
May M. Wakamatsu, MDMay M. Wakamatsu, MD
Using a lighted telescope at the end of a thin tube called a cystoscope, your doctor can inspect...