How can I work circuit training into my cycling conditioning?

Circuit training is a great way to work both a cardiovascular and strength training session into a short time frame.  For most cyclists, putting on a lot of muscle during their weight training session is not the goal.  A cyclist does want to get stronger, but conditioning the is key to success.  Circuit training is a good way to get the needed strength while continuing to build on your cardiovascular fitness.  Due to the already high demands placed on the legs while cycling, the circuit programs should limit lower-body exercises except for some power exercises that will help in climbing hills or passing another cyclist in a race.  The upper-body exercises should focus on the larger muscle groups with exercises that will keep you in good form.  The circuit should be short, with limited rest and high repetitions.  Using medicine balls, exercise bands, and dumbbells will improve core strength as well as allow for creativity in the exercises, enabling you to move from one exercise to the next quickly.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Benefits of Biking to Work
Benefits of Biking to Work
One of Denmark’s most famous sons was storyteller Hans Christian Anderson. He authored The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling and The Emperor’s New Clo...
Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves ...
What do I need to know to ride safely in a group?
Keep your head up: It is easy to get in the habit of looking directly at the back wheel of the p...
How will bike riding help my health as I age?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Any exercise will help keep you feeling young. Always remember, you are only as old as feel.Cycling ...