Where should my hands go for quick cadence drills?

Quick cadence drills work on the leg turnover rate for a cyclist. It is a neuromuscular exercise that teaches the body how to properly fire muscles and how to systematically and quickly recruit muscle activation to perform fast pedaling. Typically a high cadence is a more efficient pedal stroke, so working this neuromuscular drill will elicit positive training results by teaching the body to properly distribute power in each portion of the pedal stroke. When practicing quick cadence drills, your hands can be in the hoods or the drops, it does not matter and you should experience both. On a climb you will be on top of the bars. In a sprint you will be in the drops. You need to be able to have a fast cadence in both instances, so it is valuable to practice high cadence drills in both hand positions. You may have a different cadence from the hoods to the drops, and that is okay- it is valuable to work on pedaling in both positions. Remember, to perform the activity, increase your cadence until you start to bounce and then back off 10 rpms. Hold this cadence for the duration of each interval.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves ...
Bike Accidents are Up for Adults, Down for Kids
David Byrne, front man and cofounder of the Talking Heads, is also an avid bicyclist. In 2010 he wrote Bicycle Diaries; tales of riding his bike in fa...
What should I be drinking on the bike?
Choosing an appropriate amount and type of carbohydrate to improve performance and avoiding GI Distr...
Should I ride with a pulled hamstring?
If your hamstring is not bothering you while you ride it is fine to continue with your training,...