Where should my hands go for quick cadence drills?

Quick cadence drills work on the leg turnover rate for a cyclist. It is a neuromuscular exercise that teaches the body how to properly fire muscles and how to systematically and quickly recruit muscle activation to perform fast pedaling. Typically a high cadence is a more efficient pedal stroke, so working this neuromuscular drill will elicit positive training results by teaching the body to properly distribute power in each portion of the pedal stroke. When practicing quick cadence drills, your hands can be in the hoods or the drops, it does not matter and you should experience both. On a climb you will be on top of the bars. In a sprint you will be in the drops. You need to be able to have a fast cadence in both instances, so it is valuable to practice high cadence drills in both hand positions. You may have a different cadence from the hoods to the drops, and that is okay- it is valuable to work on pedaling in both positions. Remember, to perform the activity, increase your cadence until you start to bounce and then back off 10 rpms. Hold this cadence for the duration of each interval.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
Should I race with a PowerTap wheel or a race wheel?
When considering the differences between PowerTap wheels themselves, the main difference between...
What do I do if I have a terrible workout on my bike, in the wind?
If you are tired, hungry or dehydrated you are going to feel sluggish on the bike. The easiest way...