What are the health benefits of bike riding?

You don't have to log thousands of miles to gain rewards from riding your bike more and driving your car less. Regardless of whether you're on a fancy new two-wheeler or the battered old reliable you bought years ago, bike riding gives you a terrific workout with lots of interest and fun to keep you going. And with U.S. gasoline prices running higher than $3 per gallon, using a bicycle for shopping, commuting, visiting friends or just taking a joy ride may help your financial health at the same time it boosts your physical condition.

Bike riding lets you add a fitness activity into your day even when you think you don't have time for a workout. You get the same cardiovascular benefits from cycling that you get from any other form of aerobic exercise -- walking, jogging or dancing. It can be a very effective cardiovascular benefit.

Your muscles get a boost, too. Bike riding strengthens your thighs, hips and rear end. If your route includes climbing hills, your arms and upper body will benefit as you stand to pedal. What's more, cycling is gentle on your joints and helps preserve cartilage. That's especially advantageous for women who suffer from muscle strain, foot problems, knee troubles, back pain or impact-related injuries caused by running, jogging or walking.

If you're overweight and start an exercise program, sometimes it's harder on your joints because you are overweight. So something like swimming or biking that's not pounding on the joints can be a good thing.

Daily routine biking also can help fight the incremental weight gain and waistline expansion that many women experience at midlife.

Cycling on stationary bikes indoors is generally a lighter workout than riding outside because there's no wind resistance or challenging terrain. In the gym, you have to work a little harder to get the same result.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
What do I do if I have a terrible workout on my bike, in the wind?
If you are tired, hungry or dehydrated you are going to feel sluggish on the bike. The easiest way...
What is proper etiquette for a group ride?
Group rides are often done in a double pace line. Riders organize themselves shoulder to shoulde...