What is a good body weight exercise for cycling and running?

Bodyweight Lunges. An easy way to get a good lower body workout that will help to maintain strength and power is with lunges. Using bodyweight to start will ensure the body gradually adapts to the workload, but there are many ways to progress these into more powerful movements that will continually stress the body and improve lower body strength and power. Starting Position: Stand tall, in an athletic stance, with your feet hip width apart. Movement: In a controlled movement, take a big step forward and sink straight down to the floor, allowing both knees to bend to approximately 90 degrees. Do not let your knee touch the floor, but descend to a comfortable position that allows your hips to stay level throughout the movement. Return Movement: Slowly return to the starting position. Variations: You can progress to weighted lunges, jumping lunges (in place), lunges on an unstable surface, and jumping step ups. Repetitions/Time: 3 sets of 12 repetitions for each leg. Rest 30 seconds to 1 minute rest between sets.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Bike Accidents are Up for Adults, Down for Kids
David Byrne, front man and cofounder of the Talking Heads, is also an avid bicyclist. In 2010 he wrote Bicycle Diaries; tales of riding his bike in fa...
Why do my arms and shoulders get tight when I bicycle?
Keith Chittenden , NASM Elite TrainerKeith Chittenden , NASM Elite Trainer
Although cycling is a great exercise, it does put your body in an unnatural posture.  When you are o...
Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?
The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased frict...