What do I do if I have a terrible workout on my bike, in the wind?

If you are tired, hungry or dehydrated you are going to feel sluggish on the bike. The easiest way to prevent this lapse is to make sure you are re-fueling after a workout. Within 60 minutes of a workout you need to ingest some carbs and protein in order to replenish the glycogen stores you used. When you make this a priority, you will be able to come back stronger for the next day's workout.

Head-winds are mentally very hard, focus on spinning and cadence and not on speed. Speed is a poor indicator of actual work done. Your watts could have been high based on fighting the head wind even if your speed was not to your liking. Also choosing small marks of accomplishment (a light post, a street sign, a curve in the road) and making it to those spots break down the ride into segments you can tackle and feel good about.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
What do I need to know before trying an indoor cycling class?
Indoor cycling classes are a great way to stay motivated while getting a good cardiovascular wor...
What are the physiological benefits of long endurance rides?
Long rides that are considered endurance pace focus on building an aerobic energy system. Specif...