What is the best way to ride a hill?

The best way to approach a hill is to maximize forward momentum and carry your speed as far up the hill as you possibly can. In order to do this, increase your cadence as you approach a hill. Your cadence should be as close to 100 as you can get without bouncing on the saddle. Make sure to utilize your gears to keep the cadence up as high as you can for as long as you can, but watch out for chain-cross or dropping your chain. You should avoid shifting from one extreme to another. In other words, don’t shift from your easiest cog in the rear and your hardest gear in the front, to your small chain ring in the front and the easiest cog in the rear. Instead, bring the rear gear back to the middle of the range before shifting out of the biggest gear in the front. This will keep the chain more in alignment and will prevent the chain drop. It is important to shift from the middle of the range when altering gear selection. Once you crest the hill, make sure to finish the hill. This entails pushing that extra little bit right at the crest of the hill so that you carry your momentum over the top. This way you will be able to return to your optimal gearing and speed as quickly as possible. Many riders get near the top of a hill and ease off, thinking they have made it safely; however, this is not the best way to approach the top of a hill. Instead finish each hill with a little acceleration over the top to carry that momentum on the way down.

Continue Learning about Cycling

The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?
The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased frict...
How should I approach a 40k time trial?
When racing a 40K time trial, the intensity will be right around or a little lower than your lac...