What is the best way to improve my time to exhaustion on the bike?

While athletes have long thought that the best way to train their aerobic system was to spend long lonely miles on the bike, this is no longer the case. Burgomaster et. al (2005) found that high intensity interval training doubled an athlete's time to exhaustion on an 80% vo2 peak ride. In fact while you are working and feeling like you are “going anaerobic,” you’re probably not. At 75 seconds into an interval, 50% of your energy produced to keep those legs turning is coming from your aerobic energy system. Increasing the duration of the interval to 2 full minute shifts tips the tables even more to the aerobic energy system. Thus a 100% increase in endurance activities can be elicited from high intensity interval training. So while you think you are training anarobically, as long as you are going over 75 seconds in your intervals, you are really training your aerobic energy system and reaping the rewards from your hard work. In fact, as early as 1975 Fox et al. measured a 15% increase in Vo2 max in men following interval training. Thirty years later Barnett (2004) found a 7.1% increase in mean power output, 8 % increase in VO2peak, and a 17% increase in resting intramuscular glycogen content. Additionally an athlete stands to gain 5-8% in their vo2 peak while working at 100% of their peak vo2 power for a duration of 60% of their time to exhaustion test.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Benefits of Biking to Work
Benefits of Biking to Work
One of Denmark’s most famous sons was storyteller Hans Christian Anderson. He authored The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling and The Emperor’s New Clo...
Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Is a steep or gradual hill better when doing an overgearing workout?
The muscle tension workouts are designed for larger gears that allow for a cadence of 50 to 55 r...
Why do my arms and shoulders get tight when I bicycle?
If your arms get tired before your legs, your bicycle does not fit you properly.  Your handlebars ca...