How can I best begin my preparation for long distance cycling?

You will want to progressively increase both the distance and intensity of your cycling in order to improve your performance. Initially, begin your training at a lower intensity such as 60 - 75% of your heart rate maximum (MHR) for 20 minutes. As you are able to accomplish the recommended duration, you can then begin to increase your cycling training sessions up to 60 minutes. Once you have reached 60 minutes, you will want to begin to incorporate interval training at higher intensities (80 - 85% MHR and progressively 86 -90% MHR), while recovering at your lower intensity of 65 - 75% MHR. Incorporating the use of interval training will improve your recovery rate which will better support your efforts on long distance rides.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Benefits of Biking to Work
Benefits of Biking to Work
One of Denmark’s most famous sons was storyteller Hans Christian Anderson. He authored The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling and The Emperor’s New Clo...
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
What do I need to know before trying an indoor cycling class?
Indoor cycling classes are a great way to stay motivated while getting a good cardiovascular wor...
How should I approach a 40k time trial?
When racing a 40K time trial, the intensity will be right around or a little lower than your lac...