Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?

The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased friction from ramping up your cycling may have irritated the bursae causing a painful condition known as ischial bursitis. To help avoid this, increase your seat time slowly to allow the body time to adapt to the new stresses placed upon it. Stretch the muscles that surround the hip (statically stretch the hip flexors and piriformis) to help decrease the friction over the bursae. Apply ice to the painful areas to control the inflammatory process. Finally, make sure you have adequate cycling gear (comfortable seat, good bike shorts) to prevent injury.

You may want to check if your feet and knees have an outward rotation when you are standing or squatting. Look over the top of your knee to your toes when squatting (make sure your feet and knees are straight ahead like you're skiing, shoulder width apart), if the knee is over the big toe or inside of the big toe, you have an outward feet rotation. This dysfunction (lower extremity movement impairment syndrome) can lead to misalignment in the hip joint and pelvis, causing your cycling pain. You should see a NASM CES Trainer for a total body assessment.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike Accidents are Up for Adults, Down for Kids
David Byrne, front man and cofounder of the Talking Heads, is also an avid bicyclist. In 2010 he wrote Bicycle Diaries; tales of riding his bike in fa...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
What is proper etiquette for a group ride?
Group rides are often done in a double pace line. Riders organize themselves shoulder to shoulde...
Should I race with a PowerTap wheel or a race wheel?
When considering the differences between PowerTap wheels themselves, the main difference between...