Is it better to ride in the morning or the evening to reduce body fat?

The time of day that you exercise and the amount of body fat burned in the mid-section are not related to one another. Training increases your ability to use fat stores as energy, this training effect occurs at all times of the day, morning and evening. So rest assured that if you are working out at 6am or 6pm you are still burning fat. The important thing is to refuel after your workouts so that you can come back and train hard the next day- burning even more fat. The bottom line is you will loose fat when calories ingested are less than calories expended (at work). As long as calories in are less than calories out, there will be a negative caloric balance and the body will use its own stores to provide necessary fuel. This leads to fat loss. So the more calories expended out, through exercise, the greater the caloric inbalance.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike Accidents are Up for Adults, Down for Kids
David Byrne, front man and cofounder of the Talking Heads, is also an avid bicyclist. In 2010 he wrote Bicycle Diaries; tales of riding his bike in fa...
Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?
The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased frict...
How can I best begin my preparation for long distance cycling?
You will want to progressively increase both the distance and intensity of your cycling in order to ...