Is it better to do a group ride or train alone?

Everyone enjoys the adrenaline and camaraderie of the group ride. It is hard to forgo these to focus on our own training, but sometimes it is what you need to do for the ultimate goal or racing strong on the goal day, and not just on a local Saturday ride with buddies. Moving out of the foundation phase, your heart rate ranges will increase for some prescribed workouts. You can go on the group ride every other week if you find that the group ride does not negatively effect your ability to carry out the rest of your training plan. I caution you against “testing” yourself too much though. Too many tests and you won’t have what you need come race day. Be smart about your training and know that you are doing what you need to do in order to reach your goal.

Continue Learning about Cycling

The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about i...
What are the disadvantages of cycling?
Mark H. Bornfeld, DDSMark H. Bornfeld, DDS
Both Eric and Jonathan are right. The disadvantage of needing to know your equipment can be a plus i...
What benefits can biking offer your joints?
Biking at rapid revolutions appears to strengthen cartilage without the dangers of injuries that you...