How can I do interval training on a road or mountain bike?

Interval training is a very effective way to improve your cardiovascular system and leg strength for biking.  This can be done outside on your bike by first determining the goal of the interval.  If you are looking to improve cardiovascular strength or speed, find a flat area to perform repeated speed intervals followed by a safe place to recover.  Look for a distance that you can cover in about one minute.  Do repetitive intervals at this distance while trying to improve your times.  You should focus on technique as well as the power that you can generate.  If the goal is leg strength, find a hill that will take five minutes to climb.  Try to climb the first four minutes at a steady pace that will fatigue the legs. For the last minute, increase resistance and do a sprint.  The goal is to get to a higher speed or farther up the hill each time, which will overload the legs and promote leg strength.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike Accidents are Up for Adults, Down for Kids
David Byrne, front man and cofounder of the Talking Heads, is also an avid bicyclist. In 2010 he wrote Bicycle Diaries; tales of riding his bike in fa...
Benefits of Biking to Work
Benefits of Biking to Work
One of Denmark’s most famous sons was storyteller Hans Christian Anderson. He authored The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling and The Emperor’s New Clo...
How should I choose the right size bicycle for me?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing the right size bicycle: • For a road bike, keep...
What are the benefits of cycling?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Because your weight is supported by the bike, you can elevate your heart rate without the pounding a...