If I bike, commute and train could I be overdoing it?

Your concern about overdoing is a viable one. Your commute ride does need to be incorporated into your overall training plan. If you have recovery miles than the morning rides should substitute as that workout. If you have a more intense workout planned I recommend skipping the morning ride and focusing on training for the afternoon. Even for folks who commute, we count their commute time into overall workout time. We want you to be rested and ready to put forth a hard effort for the prescribed training. The morning spins may detract from your overall ability to hit the workout hard later in the day, so you are not getting all you can out of the workout. The morning bouts may also fatigue you over time so that when you body is stressed (with illness, racing or increased intensity) you will be already in a state of fatigue and less able to tolerate the additional stress. If the morning rides help you feel better for the rest of the day, and you are unwilling to forgo them, I encourage you to add each 30-minute session per week together and count the total time as recovery miles. The most important thing is that you incorporate these morning sessions into the overall plan and not simply add them to the existing training program- that is what could lead to “overdoing it” as you say. So either enjoy the early morning spin and omit a longer recovery miles day, or forgo the morning bout, enjoy the extra sleep and hit it hard later in the day. Either way be sure to look at the whole picture when considering exercise; simply adding tasks to already challenging training plans is not a sound plan.

Continue Learning about Cycling

Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work - But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
What is proper etiquette for a group ride?
Group rides are often done in a double pace line. Riders organize themselves shoulder to shoulde...
How can I do interval training on a road or mountain bike?
Interval training is a very effective way to improve your cardiovascular system and leg strength...