Is a steep or gradual hill better when doing an overgearing workout?

The muscle tension workouts are designed for larger gears that allow for a cadence of 50 to 55 rpm. Although you should strive for a hill of 5 to 8% grade, if a longer hill allows for you to push larger gears, then go ahead and use that for your workout. The most important factor when doing this exercise is to make sure that your cadence and rate of perceived exertion are correct. Rate of perceived exertion should be below that of a tempo workout—fairly low. Ideally for the overgear workouts, your gearing should be 53x12-15 on a hill, which is 5-8% grade. The pedal cadence is slow 50 to 55 rpms. Working on a longer flatter hill to get the full interval prescribed (5 to 15 minutes) is preferable. If you have any kind of knee problems, shift into an easier gear and bring the cadence up (or replace the workout with a different exercise).

Continue Learning about Cycling

Give Cycling a Try
Give Cycling a Try
My parents told me I should give it a try. At the age of four, I was introduced to the bike. Not for competition, just for fun. I didn’t think about ...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
What should I do if I know I'm about to get dropped while riding?
We’ve all been there, the wheel in front of you feels like it is slipping farther and farther aw...
Is it better to ride in the morning or the evening to reduce body fat?
The time of day that you exercise and the amount of body fat burned in the mid-section are not r...