Is there a difference between mountain biking and road cycling?

Yes. Aside from the scenery you experience, mountain biking and road cycling require very different equipment. Mountain bikes are heavier and built to withstand more abuse considering you will be riding in a variety of terrains. Their tires are specially designed and manufactured to withstand more pressure from sharp objects. Also, many mountain bikes are made with shocks to absorb impact. In contrast, road bikes are lighter and are built to maximize the speed at which you are able to ride. These types of bicycles are made for riding on pavement, are not built with shock absorbers, and are not suitable for dirt roads.

Continue Learning about Cycling

The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
The Dangers and Benefits of Bicycling
In the 1979 movie Breaking Away, a determined 19-year-old “townie” competes against snotty college kids in a bike race and wins—despite a bad crash—by...
Benefits of Biking to Work
Benefits of Biking to Work
One of Denmark’s most famous sons was storyteller Hans Christian Anderson. He authored The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling and The Emperor’s New Clo...
What should I do if I know I'm about to get dropped while riding?
We’ve all been there, the wheel in front of you feels like it is slipping farther and farther aw...
What do I need to know before trying an indoor cycling class?
Indoor cycling classes are a great way to stay motivated while getting a good cardiovascular wor...