What are the stages of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma?

Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas (CTCLs) are generally classified into four stages, depending on the extent of spread along the skin and to the lymph nodes, blood, and other organs. In one system, the stages are designated Stage I to IV, with I representing the most localized disease and IV representing the most extensive disease. Another system assigns a name to each stage: pre-tumor (or patch or early), infiltrative (or plaque) tumor, and erythrodermic (or Sezary syndrome). Pre-tumor is the earliest stage and erythrodermic is the most advanced and extensive.

As with most cancers, it is important to determine the stage of CTCL because this helps the doctors decide on the most appropriate therapy, and it also allows them to provide an estimate of the prognosis. Individuals with pre-tumor stage CTCL have an excellent prognosis: their life expectancy is the same as people without the disease.

Continue Learning about Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma

Do the main types of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma act differently?
The two main types of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma, mycosis fungoides and Sezary syndrome, behave diffe...
Are cutaneous T-cell lymphomas contagious?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
No, none of the lymphomas are contagious.
What is the rate of incidence for cutaneous T-cell lymphomas?
Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas (CTCL) are rare. In the United States, approximately 1,500 people are new...
How do I care for someone with cutaneous T-cell lymphoma?
Caring for people with cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (CTCL) involves helping them deal with the effects ...