What is the treatment for Cushing's syndrome?

Treatment of Cushing's syndrome depends on the cause of excess cortisol. If the cause involves long term use of a medication to treat another disorder, the physician may reduce the dosage until symptoms are under control. Surgery or radiotherapy may be used to treat pituitary adenomas. Surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, or a combination of these may be used to treat ectopic ACTH syndrome. The aim of surgical treatment is to cure hypercortisolism by removing the tumor, while minimizing the chance of endocrine deficiency, or long-term dependence on medications.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Cushing's Syndrome

How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose Cushing's syndrome?
Before your appointment, you should make sure that you prepare all of your medical records. Make sur...
Is Cushing's syndrome serious?
Yes, Cushing's syndrome is serious. Some of the symptoms are particularly dangerous like bone loss, ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my Cushing's syndrome symptoms?
Yes, you should express your concerns to your doctor. It is likely that your regular doctor will sen...
What causes Cushing's syndrome?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Cushing's syndrome occurs when the body's tissues are exposed to high levels of cortisol for too lon...