Will I need an IV for contrast material during my CT scan?

The referring physician and the radiologist will determine if an intravenous (IV) contrast material injection will enhance your computerized tomography (CT) scan. IV contrast material (IVCM), containing iodine is used to highlight organs and blood vessels that are otherwise difficult to visualize. The IVCM that we use has a low iodine content, which reduces the chance of an allergic reaction and the discomfort associated with the injection. If we decide to use IV contrast material for your CT scan, a small IV will be placed in your arm or hand prior to the CT scan. During the CT scan a technologist will closely monitor the IV contrast material injection and you to ensure an accurate and safe scan.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Can CT scans cause headaches?
MediGuardMediGuard
Some people are sensitive to the dye that is sometimes used with a CT scan procedure. If dye was use...
What is a PET/CT scan for brain cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
The combination of positron emission tomography (PET) with computed tomography (CT) -- the ability t...
Who Should Get a CT Scan to Screen for Lung Cancer?
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan