What is a computerized tomography (CT) scan with contrast?

In computerized tomography (CT) scans, also called computed tomography or CAT scans, with contrast, people are given a dye to make the pictures really stand out. Contrast lets parts of the body be seen in extra detail. It is given as a drink or an injection right before the CT scan is performed. The injection can hurt a bit but the pain doesn’t last for long.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Can a CT scan help someone at risk for lung cancer?
Dr. John A. Howington, MDDr. John A. Howington, MD
The National Lung Screening Trial, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, compared CT screening...
Why may I need a computed tomography (CT) scan of my chest?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The chest contains organs of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, as well as the esophagu...
Does a PET Scan That Shows Lung Nodules Mean Cancer?
Can Radiation From X-Rays and Computed Tomography (CT) Scans Cause Cancer?