What is a computerized tomography (CT) scan with contrast?

In computerized tomography (CT) scans, also called computed tomography or CAT scans, with contrast, people are given a dye to make the pictures really stand out. Contrast lets parts of the body be seen in extra detail. It is given as a drink or an injection right before the CT scan is performed. The injection can hurt a bit but the pain doesn’t last for long.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Is MRI better than CT scan to diagnose a stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has some advantages in stroke diagnosis. In a Lancet study, MRI acc...
How can I explain to my child what happens during a CT scan?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To explain to your child what happens during a computerized tomography (CT) scan, you can tell him o...
Can Radiation From X-Rays and Computed Tomography (CT) Scans Cause Cancer?
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan