What happens after a computerized tomography (CT) scan?

Once your scan is completed you may resume your regular diet and activities. We recommend that you drink plenty of non-alcoholic, decaffeinated fluids such as water or juice to help your body flush out any intravenous (IV) or oral contrast material.

After your computerized tomography (CT) scan a radiologist will read the images, using all available prior imaging. A final report of the CT scan will be available to the physician who requested the CT scan and who will discuss the results with you.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

How can I explain what a CT scan is to my child?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can explain what a CT scan is to your child by telling him or her that CT stands for computed to...
Why do different body parts show up as different colors on a CT scan?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Different body parts show up as different colors on a computerized tomography (CT) scan, also called...
The Dark Side of CT Scans
The Dark Side of CT Scans
Are CT Scans Better Than X-Rays at Finding Lung Cancer?