Is MRI better than CT scan to diagnose a stroke?

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has some advantages in stroke diagnosis. In a Lancet study, MRI accurately diagnosed 83% of acute strokes (that is, strokes in progress), while computed tomography (CT) scans diagnosed only 26%. Still, MRI is unlikely to replace CT scans for speedy diagnosis of acute stroke anytime soon. For one thing, while most emergency departments can quickly order a CT scan for suspected stroke patients, fewer have rapid access to MRI. MRI is also more expensive than CT and takes longer to do. Still, for acute ischemic stroke patients who now have a four-and-a-half-hour window in which to receive thrombolytic therapy, the extra time needed for MRI may be feasible.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Will I need an IV for contrast material during my CT scan?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The referring physician and the radiologist will determine if an intravenous (IV) contrast mater...
What kind of reactions could I have from a CT scan?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
The contrast dye can cause some people to feel warm, red, and flushed. Some people may be allergic t...
Are CT Scans Better Than X-Rays at Finding Lung Cancer?
Who Should Get a CT Scan to Screen for Lung Cancer?