How can I explain to my child what happens during a CT scan?

To explain to your child what happens during a computerized tomography (CT) scan, you can tell him or her the following:
  • You will go to the CT scan in a wheelchair or on a bed with wheels.
  • When you get to the room where your pictures will be taken, the nurse will help move you to the bed that slides in and out of the CT camera.
  • The camera looks like a big doughnut with a hole in the middle. The bed will slide into the hole when it is time for your pictures.
  • The bed sometimes has a cloth seatbelt, just like in a car, to keep you safe.
  • Having your pictures taken will not hurt and nothing will touch you.
  • A CT scan takes about five to 15 minutes. You may hear a soft humming sound when the camera is working.
  • You may need to drink some special medicine called contrast. This medicine helps your doctor see the pictures of your body better that were checked with the camera.
  • The special medicine or contrast may also be given through your intravenous (IV) line.
  • The radiology technologist taking the pictures will be able to see you and talk to you during the procedure.
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

What can I expect during a computerized tomography (CT) scan?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A staff member will escort you to a computerized tomography (CT) suite where you will lie down on th...
What is a cranial CT scan?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
A cranial CT scan is an imaging test that uses x-rays to generate cross-sectional images (slices) of...
Are CT Scans Better Than X-Rays at Finding Lung Cancer?
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan