Can I eat and drink before a computerized tomography (CT) scan?

Please do not eat solid foods for four hours prior to your computerized tomography (CT) appointment. You may drink clear liquids (black coffee/tea, broth, water, or juice) prior to your CT scan. If your exam includes the administration of intravenous (IV) contrast medium, do not drink anything within four hours of your exam (except for small sips of water with your medications.)

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Should I have a CT scan of my lungs after I quit smoking?
Some people recommend that after one year of not smoking, you get a "fast spiral CT scan" of you...
Why may I need a computed tomography (CT) scan of my chest?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The chest contains organs of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, as well as the esophagu...
Does a PET Scan That Shows Lung Nodules Mean Cancer?
The Dark Side of CT Scans
The Dark Side of CT Scans