What does it mean when someone with Crohn's disease has a flare?

When someone with Crohn's disease has a flare, it means that the immune system is attacking the gut. When the attack stops, it’s called remission. During remission, the body starts to heal. Crohn's disease symptoms don't happen all the time. Flares can happen a few times or lots of times. They can be triggered by stopping medication, by smoking, or by feeling stressed. But sometimes they happen on their own without any triggers. It’s different for everyone.

Continue Learning about Crohn's Disease

What are the different grades of Crohn's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Crohn’s disease is graded based on your symptoms. Remission is very obvious. It means you feel p...
How should I eat if I have Crohn's disease?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There is no specific diet for Crohn's disease, and no foods that are known to trigger bowel inflamma...
6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's
6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's
Want to ease pain and inflammation? Try these complementary care options. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) can be hard to reign in. When conventional...
What Are Some of the Emotional Aspects of Living with Crohn's Disease?