What is stricturing Crohn's disease?

There are two subtypes of stricturing Crohn's disease: inflammatory Crohn's disease and fibrostenotic stricturing Crohn's disease. Up to 50 percent of people with Crohn's disease will have some form of a Crohn's disease stricture.

Inflammatory Crohn's disease strictures are due to acute swelling in your small bowel. When you have a lot of swelling, the diameter of your small bowel starts to decrease. As a result, certain types of foods that are harder to digest, or certain pieces of stool, can get stuck there and cause obstructive-type symptoms, such as bloating and distention, nausea, vomiting or severe abdominal pain. Sometimes you can even palpate a firmness on your abdomen.

Continue Learning about Crohn's Disease

4 Lifestyle Changes That Can Help IBD
4 Lifestyle Changes That Can Help IBD
Bad habits can pose some big problems. They can be a major source of conflict in a relationship, and may even keep you from reaching your true potenti...
How should I eat if I have Crohn's disease?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There is no specific diet for Crohn's disease, and no foods that are known to trigger bowel inflamma...
6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's
6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's6 Alternative Therapies for Colitis and Crohn's
Want to ease pain and inflammation? Try these complementary care options.
How Can I Manage Crohn's Disease?
How Can I Manage Crohn's Disease?