What is stricturing Crohn's disease?

There are two subtypes of stricturing Crohn's disease: inflammatory Crohn's disease and fibrostenotic stricturing Crohn's disease. Up to 50 percent of people with Crohn's disease will have some form of a Crohn's disease stricture.

Inflammatory Crohn's disease strictures are due to acute swelling in your small bowel. When you have a lot of swelling, the diameter of your small bowel starts to decrease. As a result, certain types of foods that are harder to digest, or certain pieces of stool, can get stuck there and cause obstructive-type symptoms, such as bloating and distention, nausea, vomiting or severe abdominal pain. Sometimes you can even palpate a firmness on your abdomen.

Continue Learning about Crohn's Disease

How Crohn’s Disease Impacts Mental Health
Crohn’s disease is a chronic disorder that causes inflammation in the digestive tract. It is one of the two main types of inflammatory bowel disease (...
What can I do if my child feels overwhelmed by Crohn's disease?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If your child ever feels overwhelmed, worried or sad about having Crohn's disease, remind him or her...
6 Ways to Enjoy Food Despite Ulcerative Colitis
6 Ways to Enjoy Food Despite Ulcerative Colitis6 Ways to Enjoy Food Despite Ulcerative Colitis6 Ways to Enjoy Food Despite Ulcerative Colitis6 Ways to Enjoy Food Despite Ulcerative Colitis
These expert tips can help you take comfort in food again.
What Is Crohn's Disease?
What Is Crohn's Disease?