Will the PT help me regain range of motion after surgery?

Howard J. Luks, MD
Sports Medicine

In general, physical therapy can be very effective in helping you regain range of motion after surgery.  There are many other variables involved.  A deep personal commitment to success and to gain back your range of motion is equally as important.  Following your surgeons instructions with regards to regaining your range of motion as well as following your physical therapist's instructions on exercises to do in between your physical therapy visits are as equally as important as the time that you're going to spend at the physical therapy center. 

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
How will my premature baby's skin be cared for in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Premature babies have fragile skin that is very thin and absorbent. Until the skin matures, it doesn...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
How Has the Medical Community Reduced Errors in Patient Care?