Why should I tell the ER doctors about my alcohol and drug use?

Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Emergency Medicine
People tend to minimize the amount of alcohol they consume. If you drink six beers a day, say so. Don’t say you drink a beer or two once in a while. Alcohol affects your body in many ways. If you drink on a regular basis and are rushed to the operating room, you could die if the anesthetist does not know about the extent of your drinking. If you are admitted to the hospital, you may experience withdrawal symptoms that will complicate your condition. Tell us so medication can be ordered to help.

Also be honest about your drug use, both street and prescription. Narcotic withdrawal, whether from street heroin or Percocet, can tremendously complicate any illness. Know that certain therapeutic medications don’t sit well with street drugs and opioids and may even result in adverse effects -- so tell the truth!

If you smoke, tell the doctor. Most likely, you’re not going to be able to go outside for a smoke while you’re being seen. The EM doctor can order a nicotine patch for you that should help with your cravings. Smoking in the hospital is a serious offense. Oxygen is in use and can ignite when exposed to open flames from matches or cigarettes. In some hospitals, violators of the no smoking rule will be prosecuted.
Doc's ER Survival Guide (DocHandal's Guides)

Few people get through life without at least one trip to the emergency room (ER), either as a patient or support person for a family member or friend. Doc’s ER Survival Guide is designed to help...

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Can a family member ride in the ambulance with me?
Metropolitan Methodist HospitalMetropolitan Methodist Hospital
Every ambulance company is different, but a family is usually able to ride in the back with a patien...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?
What Can I Expect in Critical Care?