Why should I contact my primary care provider after visiting the ER?

There’s usually no communication about your care between the emergency room (ER) doctors and your primary doctor. ER doctors aren’t able to follow your progress long-term and, in the grand scheme of things, have a very small window of contact with you—usually just a matter of one or two hours.

It's always very important to follow up with your primary care doctor who knows you well, knows your history and will be able to follow your care. He or she can examine you again you to make sure your condition’s improving. If your doctor finds that it's not, then he or she can help you determine what to do next.

You should consult your primary care provider after an emergency room (ER) visit for a number of reasons. Your primary care provider needs to be aware of all of your medical conditions, including when you go to the ER, and would like to check and make sure you are doing better after the ER visit. Then, your primary care provider can continue to check out that problem and treat it.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

Does Your ER Make the Grade? How the U.S. Rates
If you have an emergency, you assume that your 911 services and ER will be ready to take care of you, right?  But what if they aren’t? Unfortunately, ...
Should I call my pediatrician if we have to go to the emergency room (ER)?
The answer should be an unequivocal yes—or you need a new pediatrician. Maybe you’ll find out the tr...
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries7 Dangerous Emergency Surgeries
Some of the most common emergency surgeries can also be the riskiest.
What Affects Readmission Rates to Hospitals?