Who decides when a patient needs to be in a critical care unit?

Tamla Wells
Tamla Wells on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Critical Care Nursing Specialist

The admitting doctor in the critical care unit decides when you need to be in a critical care unit. For example, a patient arrives in the emergency room, with complex medical or surgical issues, that require specialized intravenous medications, mechanical ventilation, or close monitoring. That emergency room doctor will contact the critical care doctor and discuss the plan of care. Based on this information, the critical care doctor will admit this patient into the critical care unit. Critical care covers a wide variety of specialized doctors, such as cardiologists, nephrologists, pulmonologists, and neurosurgeons. Any of these doctors, who have critical care admitting privileges, decides when a patient needs specialized critical care.

Continue Learning about Critical Care

When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for chest pain?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
If you have a known history or family history of heart disease and experience chest pain, you should...
When is it not necessary to call for an ambulance?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
It is not necessary to call for an ambulance when: the person is awake, breathing without difficu...
What does a trauma surgeon do?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Basically, a trauma surgeon takes care of people who are injured, working with the hospital staff to...
What are the benefits of Level I trauma centers?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
If you are seriously injured, you will want to go to a trauma center that has a Level I designation ...